Friday, October 9, 2009

Just a few things...

1. The other day, we were pulling out of our parking lot and went over a speed bump. Rylie immediately said, "uh oh!" Tripp and I just laughed and laughed. We don't really say uh oh at home, so it was really out of the blue!

2. Any baby signers out there? Rylie has started doing signs on us sometimes. For example, the other day, she said, "Dottie" as she signed daddy. I said, "Rylie, do you want dottie or daddy?" and then she took her hand and did the sign for daddy on MY forehead. Then yesterday she did the sign for eat, and I couldn't tell if she was signing eat or pointing to her teeth (I've been trying to teach her to point to her teeth and sign hurt if she is hurting...she's getting molars). So I said, "Rylie, do you want to eat or do your teeth hurt?" and she took her hand and signed eat on my mouth. I don't know if this is a normal progression in signing, but it's so cute. She signs on us in order to clarify.

3. We Skype with all the grandparents on a regular basis. This means that we talk to them via computer with a live video feed. They get to see Rylie play (whenever she's willing to stay in the picture), and Rylie gets to see her grandparents. Well I had her in her highchair eating a snack and I went in the study to grab the computer so I could work on something quickly while she was snacking. As soon as I rounded the corner with the computer, Rylie looked up and me and grinned REALLY big and said, "POPPY!!!" She always yells his name and inflects her voice at the end...it's so cute! He's the only grandparent whose name she can say really well. She's working on all the others, but they just aren't quite as easy as Poppy. :-) We're so thankful for technology in that regard. Even though she sees her grandparents every 6 weeks or so, we still get to "see" them via computer more often than that. I think it really helps to keep her connected and comfortable with them. She's always gone right to grandparents when they visit, and they're all just able to pick up where they left off. We're blessed with some incredible grandparents, and Rylie already knows she's insanely loved by them!

2 comments:

The Story Family said...

We need to invent a sign for "Dottie." :)

Julie said...

So fun! It just gets better and better the more they start talking. I told Judah he needed to be quiet this morning because Kenny and Shari were sleeping, and he said "oh MAN!" and hit his knee. :)