Monday, February 8, 2010

New Things

Rylie is just changing and growing so much every day. It's crazy! She is the best little mimicker, and she's talking like crazy. She even said her first sentence a few weeks ago..."Dog says woof." She knows so many random animals-ostrich, squid, and mouse. She knows her shapes, she recognizes when I sign the letters of her name. She doesn't recognize her letter or number symbols, but she can say her numbers and she knows where several letters come in the alphabet. If I'm singing the abcs, I can stop at some points, and she'll say the next letter. She's just absorbing all of this stuff that I never knew she knew. We don't have an analog clock in our home, but she saw one in a book the other day, pointed to it and said, "clock." Where does she learn these things? I always knew kids were sponges, but it's so incredible to actually live with one of those sponges! It's really neat that I don't even sit down with her, drill her, or "force" learning upon her. She just watches, listens, and figures things out on her own!
One of her favorite pasttimes of late is getting naked. For some reason, she likes taking all of her clothes off when she's supposed to be napping. If she's wearing pants and a t-shirt, she can get out of them in a matter of seconds. Then, she'll take her diaper off. She doesn't undo the snaps, no, that's too easy. She takes them off like she would a pair of underwear, stretching the diaper, grunting, and straining to get that heavy soggy thing off. Twice now, I have gone in to get her up from her nap, and this is what I've found:
Notice the clothes in a nice neat pile in the corner.

When I walk in, she always picks up her diaper and says, "diaper, mama...diaper off. Clothes." Here she is handing me her diaper.

It's always interesting around here, and I LOVE every minute of my sweet time as a mommy of a toddler!

No comments: