Friday, August 21, 2009

Zoo Trip!!!!

We were able to make a fun family trip to the zoo before Tripp starts back to school. Most zoos are laid out in such a way that you can see the zebras, hippos, elephants, and flamingos by just taking a few steps from one to the next. NOT THIS ZOO! It was a FANTASTIC zoo, but it's quite a trek. It's 5 miles through the mountains, and many of the animals have "semi-natural" environments...meaning, you might walk 2 miles just to see the buffalo half a mile out in a big field. It had its highlights. We got LOTS of parenting tips. We'd like to share them with you. These are actual things that we heard parents say to their children.
1. "You cannot push the stroller by yourself. If you don't let me help you, I'm gonna lock you up!" We still aren't sure what she meant by that.
2. "If you don't come on, I'm gonna let the monkeys come get you."
3. "If you don't hurry up, I'm gonna leave you here."
4. Mommy: "Can we come back later?"
Child: "No."
Mommy: "Okay, then take 5 minutes to play."
We made several mental notes of how NOT to parent. I tend to ask Rylie a lot of questions, and I'm going to have to get out of that habit. Example: "We're almost home. When we get home you can have some milk, okay?" I don't actually mean it as a question, but it does come across that way, so I'll have to stop tacking on "okay" to the end of all my sentences. Anyway, let's get to some pictures, okay? :-)
These elephant statues were at the zoo entrance...I thought they were so neat!



I love that profile! She was watching the sea lions eat.
Blurry photo, but Rylie LOVED this turtle. It seemed to like her, too. It kept swimming toward her.
Snacking

It was so warm outside, so we tried fanning Rylie, but she just wanted to play "grab the paper"
Busy bee Rylie
Cute little guy, huh?
Icky iguana
Daddy took Rylie on her first carousel ride. She didn't quite know what to think. She just had this serious expression the entire time and stared at the horse going up and down in front of her.
Amazement

WOW! These guys are so big!
Tram ride back to the other end of the 5 mile zoo. We were breaking for lunch. This was, by far, Rylie's favorite part of the zoo. I think she'll be ready for Six Flags long before her parents are!
Lunch break! Homemade chicken salad, fruit, and cheese...yum!
So exotic...God's creation is so beautiful and artistic. I couldn't dream up striped and spotted animals like He created...just amazing!
Rylie conked out just before we got to the baboons.
The elephants were pretty far away from us. :-( Still very neat, though.
Worn out!
I think these guys are so neat! Does anyone else think the little nubs on their head are very alien-like?
Tripp was sooooo excited to feed the giant fish and turtles. I'm so glad this guy wanted to marry me! He's an AWESOME husband and father. I'm glad my kids will get to have such a playful daddy (like I did!)
Just to try to explain how HUGE some of these turtles are. We were standing pretty high up on a bridge. The turtles in the bottom right of the photo are normal sized, about 8-12in. long turtles. Then, there's the giant up top. There were babies, too, but you wouldn't be able to make them out in this photo.
We let Rylie play in some dirt at the zoo...and it ended up on her face somehow. :-)
So there's this running joke in our home that I'm somewhat of a clutz. I'm CONSTANTLY running into things, falling, tripping, etc. I can't remember the last time I didn't have some kind of bruise on my body. They're usually on my legs. Since I'm short, I have to climb on the kitchen counters to reach high cabinets, climb on the washer to reach stain remover, etc. The one on my arm...I have no idea where it came from. The one on my finger however, I did feel at the moment of impact. :-) One of the trash cans at the zoo tried to eat my finger. I threw my trash away, was pulling my hand out, and the little flap snapped closed on my finger.
Our zoo trip was quite a success, and we'll definitely take Rylie again sometime. We'll have to get in better shape by then, or we'll end up renting strollers for all three of us!

No comments: