Saturday, August 22, 2009

My snuggly cheerleader

Tonight was such a momentous night for Rylie and me. Tonight was the first night that she's gone to bed without nursing. She's officially weaned. I knew I would have a hard time because it's such a big transition...she's not as reliant on Tripp and me anymore. She's truly growing up and weaning her forces me to acknowledge that. I was a little apprehensive and nervous about how to transition her to her crib without feeding her first.
Tripp and I give her a bath every night as a part of her routine and then we put her pj's on her. Next, we give her a book to read while we get out a hymnal and sing a song or two. Then, we let her turn on her white noise machine and we turn out the lights. That's when she does her bedtime nursing. Tonight, after we turned off the lights, I decided to try to rock her for a minute. I didn't really expect this to go well. If you read the "Our Little Monkey" post, you know that Rylie doesn't stay still for very long. If she's in your lap, she's trying to figure out the most adventurous way to escape. She's just not a very cuddly baby.
She must've known this was hard for me. As soon as her daddy handed her to me, she didn't try to nurse, she just laid her head on my shoulder. I was amazed. I was touched. I was thankful.
She's such an incredible baby, and she transitions through phases so well...or has so far. I just took full advantage of the moment, hummed her a song and rocked her. She kept her head on my shoulder except to pop up occasionally to sign "daddy" or "dog"....two of her favorites these days. So...there is bonding after nursing afterall! It just looks a little different, and I'm actually looking forward to rocking my baby girl tomorrow night!

No comments: