Friday, February 27, 2009

Baby Food

Before I post about baby food, here's a photo we took a few weeks ago when we actually had warm weather here! We all went out on our little deck and let Rylie play. I loved her expression in this photo.
I have really gotten into pureeing Rylie's baby food. It's so much fun!!! This last time, I made sweet potato, sweet potato and broccoli (with a little bit of unsalted butter), carrots, apples, butternut squash, and pear. We spent about $7 on the ingredients, and I made about 80 servings. We would have paid in the neighborhood of $40-$60 for this in the store! I realize that the convenience of jarred baby food is worth the price for some, but making our own works best for us. Besides, I love to cook, so this is right up my alley! So far, Rylie loves the sweet potato and broccoli mixture but hasn't taken to the pears very well...go figure! She still hasn't tried apples or butternut squash yet. Her favorite, by far, is sweet potato! And she also likes it with a little bit of cinnamon! She's my kinda gal! Here's some of the baby food...
And here's Rylie after she enjoyed some sweet potatoes and carrots! Lately, she likes to suck her thumb after every bite. Needless to say, that gets a little messy! She used to be such a neat little eater, but I like watching her explore her food...at least it's not on the walls yet!

1 comment:

Nikki Leigh Daniel said...

Yea! I'm glad you're getting into pureeing baby food so you can tell me how to puree, freeze, and thaw it best! I've wanted to make Noah's food, but I don't know anyone else who does it...until now!! Yes, let's get together when you're here.