We started Tot School this week!!! I spent time at all 3 of Thomson, Ga's dollar stores while I was in town. I collected pom poms, marbles, containers, foam stickers, glue, glitter glue, googly eyes, window clings, and several other "goodies". Tripp's parents were nice enough to buy us some supplies from Target (the colored bowls...probably the best thing we have at tot school!), and Bed Bath and Beyond (small bathtub clings, and some organizational stuff.) We have so many activities we can do already, and I continue to have my eyes open for some cheap tot school materials. I think I'm about to start doing some homemade stuff, too. I'm actually very surprised at how cheap this is. We've gotten some great supplies for a very small price!
Here's Rylie with her first station: bead sorting. She did an awesome job with this one! When we start Tot School, I just set up 2-4 stations for her, take her to each one and explain how it works, and then I sit in a nearby chair and read or something. I like to be nearby to offer praise and encouragement, but I think she enjoys the independence of doing this all by herself. She's such a great problem solver when I'm not right there to help.
Really enjoying Tot School!
She did an awesome job!!!
Station number 2: Pom Pom sorting using a water bottle ice cube tray
Surprisingly, she had a little more difficulty with this than she did with the beads and bowls. I thought she'd do them equally well, but I had to guide her for a few minutes before I could let her go it alone. She eventually got it down great and even switched up entire rows.
Station number 3: Threading Beads
She also did a fantastic job with this one. We even turned it into a bracelet afterwards!
Having more fun at Tot School!!!
Station number 4: Placing marbles in bathtub clings
She's very particular about this one. Apparently each marble has its own particular spot. She'll move them around until it looks just right.
That's the end of day 1 of Tot School! Rylie had a BLAST!!! She actually sobbed when we told her she had to go to bed and could play tot school again tomorrow. She couldn't stop crying and saying, "Tot School." It was really pitiful, but I was kind of excited to see that she liked it so much. The next morning, the first thing she said was, "Play Tot School?" I'd say it's a big hit! I hope it stays this way for a LONG time. As I type this, she's looking on and saying, "play beads" over and over and over and over.
Tot School Day 2:
Station number 1: Pipe Cleaners in a Shaker
She usually brings me her work when she's finished and says, "Look!"
Station number 2: Glue Dots and Pom Poms
I found these awesome glue pens at the dollar store-3 for a dollar. Rylie can do them all by herself. I showed her how to use them for the first time this morning. I did it once and then handed it over to her. She did a fantastic job! Notice her tiny dots of glue in the photos. I even went and sat in a chair nearby and didn't have to worry about her globbing glue!
Station number 3: Foam Stickers
Rylie did a great job with this one, too. I gave her a bowl of stickers and an empty bowl. I showed her to peel the sticker and place her trash in the empty bowl. After that, I didn't have to remind her one time where to put her trash.
Can you tell I'm a proud mom? I'm thrilled that Rylie's found something that she enjoys so much and that gives her some independence. I, of course, love school, but I'm staying back a little. I'm excited to continue this as "our thing" after baby comes. Hope this post inspires someone!
1 comment:
I'm totally inspired and don't even have children! This looks so fun. You are exactly the kind of mommy I knew you would be. I love it!
Post a Comment